Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Talking Points 1

White Privilege by Peggy Mcintosh

This article by Peggy interestingly states that gender discrimination is taught not to be recognized as race is also. Peggy touches up on some strong examples of race in our society to where just more than jobs and roles but to everyday events.

In this first quote it shows how whites don't have to worry about a simple decision as much as a black person does "Whether I use checks, credit cards, or cash, I can count on my skin color not to work against the appearance of financial reliability." This shows how the average black person may have to worry that there money may not get accepted or acknowledged in the right way due to their race and stereotypes against them.

The next quote shows the dangers of blacks still in the modern society "I can be pretty sure that my neighbors in such a location will be neutral or pleasant to me." This is so strongly true. If i go live somewhere most of the time my new neighbors wont be worried about my skin color as they would to a black due to the stereotypes.

This article was mostly easy to read and i didn't have many problems with it. I enjoyed the article and its many points of how white Americans don't have to worry about situations because of their race like a black American does. It also states gender issues and how men are more privileged than women are in our society like whites are to blacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment